There are multiple ways to turn off your iPhone X. You can power off your device using the buttons, from within the Settings app, or you can perform a hard restart (aka a force shutdown) if needed. Generally you’ll use the first two methods for restarting your iPhone, but the third is good to do if your device freezes or is acting a bit too slow. We’ll go over each way for powering off and restarting your iPhone X and how to turn on your device once you’ve shut it down.
Related: How to Open Control Center on iPhone X (& Customize It)
iOS 11 introduced the ability to shut down your iPhone from within Settings. This is a great backup for anyone with an iPhone running the latest software, since it means you can restart your iPhone even if the buttons aren’t working. Most people simply learn the button shortcut on their device, but it’s different on the iPhone X. Plus, both of those options only turn off your iPhone X; if you want to Hard Restart your device, that takes a completely different combination of buttons. Let’s go over all of the ways you can turn off your iPhone X.
How to Turn off iPhone X (with Buttons)
- Simultaneously press and hold the Side button (formerly known as the Sleep/Wake button) and the Volume button—either up or down, it doesn’t matter which.
- Release the buttons when the shutdown screen appears.
- Slide to power off your iPhone X.
That’s it! Make sure not to keep holding down those two buttons or you’ll automatically engage Emergency SOS, which you don’t want to do if you’re just trying to turn off your iPhone X.
How to Power off iPhone X (without Buttons)
- Open the Settings app.
- Select General.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap Shut Down.
- Slide to power off.
The first method of powering off your iPhone X and this method are virtually the same. Both will power off your device. The next method is meant to completely shut down and restart every part of your iPhone, which is why it can often time help fix small bugs or slow memory problems.
How to Hard Restart or Force Shutdown Your iPhone X
- Click and release the Volume Up button.
- Click and release the Volume Down button.
- Click and hold the Side button until the screen shuts off. This may take about ten seconds, so keep holding it until the screen goes black.
- You do not need to Slide to power off; keep holding the Side button and the screen will go black. If Siri engages, you haven’t clicked the Volume buttons correctly.
- Your device will power down and restart.
How to Turn on iPhone X
If you shutdown your device using one of the two first methods, you’ll also need to power it back on. To do this:
- Hold down the Side button until the Apple logo appears on screen.
- Once it restarts, swipe up from the bottom of your screen and enter your passcode.
It’s good to note that when powering off or restarting your iPhone X, you will need to enter the passcode when it powers back up before Face ID will start working.
Top Image Credit: Bagus Hernawan / Unsplash
Master your iPhone in one minute a day: Sign up here to get our FREE Tip of the Day delivered right to your inbox.